Today I’m sharing my most favorite recipe for creamed spinach. It tastes exactly like the $12 side dish served in steakhouses, and it’s so easy to make, you don’t even need to buy cream. A rich and creamy spinach dish that doesn’t use any cream! Just as tasty as the side dish served by fancy steakhouses..
I hated this dish when I was little, because I was only ever served the frozen variety, and ew. Fresh creamed spinach, on the other hand, is miraculously delicious. Creamy, buttery, savory and bursting with fresh spinach flavor — because the spinach is fresh! This dish takes about as long to make as it takes to heat up the frozen version, and you can make it year-round, because spinach comes cleaned and bagged in any supermarket.
I love serving this creamed spinach alongside grilled ribeye steak and mashed potatoes, but it’s quite flexible. I’d definitely eat it alongside roasted chicken, baked salmon, or a quinoa dish. I think it would also make a tasty alternative to green bean casserole at holiday dinners and potlucks! Don’t let the steakhouses dictate creamed spinach consumption any longer.
Steakhouse Creamed Spinach
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 4 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1 small Onion, finely diced
- 1 clove Garlic, finely diced
- 1 cup Milk
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 12 oz. Baby Spinach, give or take a few oz. (1 bag)
- Melt 4 tbsp butter in a pot over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour and whisk to blend into a paste. Cook for 5 minutes, or until light golden in color. Mix in onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Whisk milk in slowly until combined. Let cook 5 minutes while the spinach is prepared.
- To prepare spinach, melt 1 tbsp butter in a separate pot over medium heat. Add spinach by the handful and toss occasionally to coat. Cook until spinach for 4-5 minutes until wilted but not soggy – it should be bright green and the stems should still have a crunch to them. Remove from heat.
- Season the sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Add spinach to the sauce, folding to combine.
- Plate immediately or serve in a warmed dish. Enjoy!