Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie





This is a tried-and-true, old-fashioned coconut cream pie. Took many years of searching and baking to find the right one and this is it! Enjoy

Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie

makes 1 9-inch pie

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
  • 3 cups half-and-half
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked
  • 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed


Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake it, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
  3. In a medium saucepan, combine the half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt and mix well. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in 3/4 cup of the toasted coconut and the vanilla extract. Reserve the remaining coconut to top the pie.
  4. Pour the filling into the pie shell and chill until firm, about 4 hours.
  5. Top with whipped topping and with the reserved coconut.

22 Responses to "Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie"

  1. Saw this on Pinterest. I have to try this one! Repin! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really see the point of telling everyone "oh so great! I'm going to try this!" Great so they are going to try it... I like to read comments from people who already have tried it so I know whether I should or not. So I am actually commenting with the info that this pie was as good as it looks! Although I'm not sure why someone would go to the effort of doing this from scratch and then covering it with chemical filled cool whip! ?? I used 35% whipping cream with a little sugar and vanilla to make real whipped cream. If you want it to taste amazing, use only the best. And please read then Google the ingredients on frozen toppings... Your family deserves the best. Thanks for sharing this perfect recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHY SO RUDE AND CRABBY? PUT DOWN THE POISON PEN AND EAT YOUR PIE

      Delete
    2. Well, aren't you just a bottle of sun shine! Who pissed in your Wheaties?

      Delete
    3. I agree with you! I saw "pie shell" and "frozen whipped topping" and immediately thought that those 2 items were contradicting the title of the dish. LOL

      Delete
  3. THE COMMENT I MADE ABOVE WAS FOR LORRIE,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Lorrie. Pie is amazing, especially with real whipped cream.
    Knowing that some was has actually tried a recipe verses going to make a recipe really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tried this recipe last night. I followed the recipe to a T but it didn't work.

    First, there is too much filling for a 9 inch pie shell. I had about 1.5 cups leftover.

    Second, the pie never set. It has been sitting in the fridge over night and the filling is still liquidy. It needs gelatin or cornstarch to thicken the filling. The flour didn't do it enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made this recipe several times now. It is ALWAYS a hit!! I do whip my own cream for the topping instead of the Coolwhip variety. Easy to make....but it doesn't taste like it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read the rude comments...why? I personally agree with Lorrie T. Real whip cream or it doesn't get made! Call me a snob, but long before Cool Whip came along...real whipping cream was used...by the way! I am going to try this, because this was one of two pies my Mom would make...and always with real whipping cream ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Put half cup of coco oil. It firms up better and gives it more flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love me some coconut cream pie! I'll definitely be trying this in the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also agree with Lorrie....make the item....then comment. It all looks good....we want the helps....and the warnings.....I also believe fresh is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please could you tell an Australian what 'half and half ' is?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious. I used 2 cups of half and half, and 1.5 cups of coconut milk. Thickened nicely, just have to keep stirring awhile. Old fashioned meringue is good if you don't want to use whipped topping. Nomadess- did you perhaps forget to add the eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tried to make it for thanksgiving but it was too much for a 9 inch pan and the filling didn't set. It had the consistency of gravy :(

    ReplyDelete